[OSM-talk] Openstreetmap iPhone app

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Mon Nov 10 13:06:56 GMT 2008

Joe Richards <joefish75 <at> yahoo.com> writes:

> Is there any project to create a similar application for the iPhone that uses
OSM maps and data sources?  I
> think it would be an excellent way to introduce OSM to people who have never
seen it...  I would imagine the
> existing functionality of the Google Maps application, plus maybe the ability
to do some small-scale
> editing such as adding nodes for things like amenities while you're out and
about...

I saw quite a nice iPhone prototype application in an annual GIS conference in
Finland couple of months ago. It used OpenStreetMap data as a background map and
POIs from a commercial source on top of that. They used 128x128 pixel sized
tiles if I remember it right. Then there were tools for searching features,
mostly amenities, and user could get more info by touching features with finger.
Pretty cool. The big company who owns the POIs was a bit suspicious because POIs
are partly collected from people sending those through web application.  I guess
that the company would like to do the same with mobile client, but with OSM
background new POIs could be considered to be derived from OSM data and thus
they should be SA-licensed as well and that's not what the company is going to
do. So it may well be that just this application never comes true. But as I
said, it was cool.