[OSM-talk] nicer wiki URLs

Stefan Baebler stefan.baebler at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 20:26:44 GMT 2008

Tom Hughes wrote:
> Grant Slater wrote:
>> Stefan Baebler wrote:
>>> IMO I would be good to have nicer & shorter URLs in our wiki.
>>>
>>> Eg http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Map_Making_Overview
>>> could & probably should be shortened to:
>>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/Map_Making_Overview
>>>
>>> The change would also need to redirect old URLs to the new, shorter ones
>>>

>> Fix now... there have been many requests for this.
>>
>> I have gone for this format:
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Main_Page
>> ->
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Main_Page
>
> I don't really see the point of that - if you were going to get rid of
> the middle bit then fine, but just changing it seems a bit silly.
Yes, my initial proposal was to cut the unnecessary part of url.
Also having "wiki" twice in URL makes little sense.

> As I said last weekend I had planned on getting rid of it when we moved
> machines, but the mediawiki manual scared me off.
good, i wasn't aware of that. I guess mediawiki guys are covering all
the possible scenarios as detailed as we are when it comes to maps, api
... probably scaring off newcomers :)

Some of the solutions are just a few lines of mod_rewrite config in
apache and some settings in mediawiki.

Stefan