[OSM-talk] Contour lines from SRTM-Data in OSM format

Igor Brejc igor.brejc at gmail.com
Sat Nov 15 10:10:48 GMT 2008

Christoph Eckert wrote:
> Hi,
>

>>> I believe srtm2osm uses void filled data that is copyrighted. So is
>>> you do distribute the results make sure that you specify it's only for
>>> academic research. IANAL.
>>>
>> No, it uses original SRTM data downloaded directly from NASA's FTP server.
>>

> I've been on the SRTM pages a couple of minutes before, and am still unsure
> about the license stuff. Before I distribute the data, I'd really like to
> know if it is legal. Any hint would be much appreciated.
>
> Best regards,
>
> ce

Well, first of all, CycleMap uses the same SRTM data (as far as I know),
so if the license is an issue, this applies to CycleMap too.
I haven't been able to find any info directly describing the license of
SRTM, but, as far as I know, all NASA's products (images, data) are
"public domain". And since people who generated SRTM void-filled data
license it under their own terms (and not NASA's), I guess this means
that the original data has a very permissive license. So we should be in
the clear ;)

Igor

--
http://igorbrejc.net