[OSM-talk] mkgmap questions

Gour gour at mail.inet.hr
Mon Nov 17 21:52:27 GMT 2008

>>>>> "Ævar" == Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <avarab at gmail.com> writes:

Hi!

This is my 1st post after 'discovering' OSM today :-)

I almost became totally frustrated that I'll be force to use my Garmin
GPS (which I plan to buy in a few days) only with proprietary tools. :-/

Fortunately, there is OSM project and possibility to contribute back :-)

Ævar> .tdb is to tell garmin mapsource which .img files makeup the
Ævar> mapset.  You don't need it unless you're using mapsource.

Soon enough I've encounter problem when attempting to use QLandkartdGT
which does not import *.img files but only *.tdb files. (old version of
QLandkarte was importing *.img files.)

I was able to create my 'own' map by downloading *.osm data and using
mkgmap with --tdb option in order to load the map, but I've found some
free pre-made Garmin maps available as compressed gmapsupp.img and
author of QLandkarteGT suggested to use Windows app for splitting the
map (I've found it by Googling as GMapTool.exe), but for me it does not
make sense writing native Linux software and requiring to use Windows
applications to load the maps :-/

So, I'm interested if mkgmap can do the same job as GMapTool
(http://www.anpo.republika.pl/download.html) and split the *.img file so
that one can then use:

mkgmap --tdbfile --gmapsupp map1.img map2.img ...map2.img

in order to get *.tdb file and be able to import the map into
QlandkarteGT?

Sincerely,
Gour

--

Gour  | Zagreb, Croatia  | GPG key: C6E7162D