[OSM-talk] Ordnance Survey tries to reinforce its stranglehold over "derived" geographic data in the UK

Donald Allwright donald_allwright at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 20 15:45:10 GMT 2008

>http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:access

>foot = yes => legal right of way
>foot = permissive => permissive path
>
>Unfortunately, Potlatch has been adding lots of * = yes for a while by
>default, so it's hard to tell whether the contributor understands the
>implications of the =yes tags and removes them if they don't apply. So
>I'd have more confidence in the *=permissive tags more than *=yes.

The wiki seems to be very confusing on this issue. I would have interpreted this page as meaning I should add foot=yes access=permissive, rather than foot=permissive. The various other pages that talk about types of path don't seem to mention anything about the access rights, only intended purpose - e.g.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dfootway
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dpath
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:access%3Ddesignated

This confusion isn't helped by potlatch doing one thing and josm another, and I'm pretty sure that past versions of potlatch did something different as well (not sure about JOSM). And JOSM makes no mention of foot=permissive, only foot=designated. And I believe that the accepted norm has changed in recent history too.

So in answer to your question about whether the contributor understands the implications of the =yes tag, I think it's a totally safe bet that most people (myself included until a few minutes ago) don't. I would volunteer to update the wiki to make it much clearer how the various types of path should be tagged, but I still don't feel I understand it all sufficiently to do this.

Cheers,
Donald