[OSM-talk] Ordnance Survey tries to reinforce its strangleholdover "derived" geographic data in the UK

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Thu Nov 20 17:22:33 GMT 2008

>The problem here is who says it's a public right of way. If you ask your
>local authority they will bring out there plans which give the details
and
>reference numbers but these of course exist on OS mapping. Not easy to be
>definitive.

I think this has come up before but: does this matter?

Is it not true that whilst the underlying OS mapping is copyright, the
layer on top, the council's definitive map, is derived from a council
database - not an OS map -  and thus is a separate layer unencumbered by
OS copyright?

Again not 100% sure, but I'd presume that path *status* is  OK taken from
the definitive map, as the council is the source of that information, not
the OS.

Nick