[OSM-talk] Anyone familiar with Pulkova 1932 coordinates?

Erik Johansson erjohan at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 10:26:04 GMT 2008

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 9:32 PM, Gustav Foseid <gustavf at gmail.com> wrote:
> I got the official coordinates for all the border stones and markers along
> the Norwegian-Russian border. The points are taken from the official
> protocol, and are in Pulkovo 1932 coordinate system.
>
> Does anyone have experience in working with this coordinate system or know
> how to transform the values to WGS84?
>
> The file is available from
> http://www.foseid.priv.no/gustav/2008/osm/Russkoor.xls, but all comments are
> in Norwegian only.

Oooh projection archeology, it's even more fun when you go down to
local county databases they all have their own projections scheme for
better fit to the grid. Reading in Proj4 projection definitions file
there seems to be many "pulkovo" zones in 1995, maybe the same is true
for 1932? Calling up your local university  GIS department they are
usually very glad to help.. :-) You can also ask the OSM Russians:

http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewforum.php?id=21

/Emj