[OSM-talk] UK bike map standard: Cheltenham pattern becoming more objective

Andrew Chadwick (email lists) andrewc-email-lists at piffle.org
Fri Nov 21 12:13:39 GMT 2008

What do people think of the latest iteration of

  http://www.cyclenation.org.uk/resources/mapping.php
  (formerly http://www.cyclecheltenham.org.uk/map_standard.html )?

We should probably get our oar in here and try to make the standard
base-map-neutral and colour-scheme-neutral. I shall have a word with
their feedback person, methinks; any other points I should be making?

JMO: I like a lot of things about this standard. Its eschewing of
rubbish cycle facilities and de-emphasising of formal routes in favour
of a graded network and references to external training standards really
seems like a breath of fresh air to me.

Visually it's a mess. Still the same godawful colour scheme though, and
they seem to be enshrining colour names into their tables as if

  yellow -> green -> blue -> red -> purple

were either a natural progression for most people or suitable for
colour-blind people. I like the increased level of objectivity they seem
to be working towards, however, even if most cycle campaign groups out
there won't have speed guns at their disposal.

Additionally, most cycle campaign groups won't have the wherewithal for
an OS base map to create their map from, so it looks like use of this
standard is limited to councils and large institutions only. Problematic
for my own work at the moment: I'm working with a local cycle campaign
group who've had Bad Experiences with the Council's efforts at bike
mapping, who would very much like to do their own thing using OSM.

--
Andrew Chadwick