[OSM-talk] Anyone familiar with Pulkova 1932 coordinates?

Bernt M. Johnsen berntm at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 12:48:21 GMT 2008

Well, that article defines on how to transform from DHG (Deutches
Heeres Gitter) Plukovo 1932 to UTM ED50 in zone 34, and that's a
start. Question is, is that (DHG Pulkovo 1932) the same as the
coordinates we have for the border which is described like this:
"Koordinatene er konforme , rettvinklete Gauss-Krugerske, etter
Pulkovasystemet av 1932 (Bessels ellipsoide)".?

Which should translate to something like "The Coordinates are conform,
orthogonal Gauss-Krugerian, after the Pulkova System of 1932 (Bessel's
ellipsoid)"

More details in Norwegian in the referenced document ;-)

2008/11/21 Tom Hughes <tom at compton.nu>:
> Erik Johansson wrote:
>
>> Oooh projection archeology, it's even more fun when you go down to
>> local county databases they all have their own projections scheme for
>> better fit to the grid. Reading in Proj4 projection definitions file
>> there seems to be many "pulkovo" zones in 1995, maybe the same is true
>> for 1932? Calling up your local university  GIS department they are
>> usually very glad to help.. :-) You can also ask the OSM Russians:
>
> This article may be of some help:
>
>   http://www.asprs.org/resources/grids/09-2002-latvia.pdf
>
> The final paragraph gives a translation from Pulkovo 1932 to UTM by
> the looks of it.
>
> Tom
>
> --
> Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)