[OSM-talk] Automatic generation of 3D environments from OSM data

David Dean ddean at ieee.org
Sun Nov 23 00:56:11 GMT 2008

Has anybody else here heard of Procedural? They put out a commercial
application called CityEngine that can procedurally generate a 3D city from
a imported OSM street network. Details here:
http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=57701 and there's an interesting
video on using OSM data here:
http://www.procedural.com/cityengine/import-export/layer-import.html .

What I'm wondering is what impact does OSM's CC license have on this sort of
stuff? I guess the entire 3D model would then have to be delivered under CC
as well right (if it was published)? So if a person used open street map to
help film a CG movie scene then what has to be released CC? The 3D models,
the textured models, those video scenes from the movie or the entire movie?

- David