[OSM-talk] Validator tags

sylvain letuffe liste at letuffe.org
Mon Nov 24 13:52:40 GMT 2008

> As of revison 12060 maplint supports
(...)
> to disable specific tests. If other variants (like unnamed=yes) or other
> namespaces for annotations (like the internal namespace) show up
> prominently enough I'll update maplint again to support those tags too.

I think, we, as validation tools developpers/maintainer, have a risponsability
on the usage of users that we should handle with care.

The fact that maplint, or even my validator tool, makes use of several
different tags for the same purpose will inevitably lead to confusion into
the DB (and users mind) :
Having different tags for the same meaning is IMHO a "very" bad idea

For instance, the fact that maplint supports noname=yes and the validation:
namespace and maybe one day the internal: namespace I've proposed is bad.

The more is not the best.

My proposition stated that "we have to agree on a common sets of tags" because
that is imho the way to go.

wether it be internal: or validation: or serveral different tags, I don't care
providing that they are well documented and not duplicates of others.

And I would prefere that they drop out of discussion instead of being
created "in the wild" and then show their bad aspects too late after many
have used them.

are there anywhere I didn't found where validation: is documented ?

Sylvain Letuffe liste at letuffe.org
qui suis-je : http://slyserv.dyndns.org