[OSM-talk] Validator tags

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Nov 24 19:10:58 GMT 2008

Hi,

DavidD wrote:
> I don't really see why this is needed. Wouldn't it be a lot better to
> have a tag for when a street has no visible name sign? Then I and
> other mappers know what is going on and there is no risk of someone
> with local knowledge thing the street is already named.

The idea is that the perfect mapping for a street that has no name is
simply a street with no name tag.

The smartest validator in the world will not be able to discern this
from a road that does have a name, just nobody has bothered adding the
name tag.

This is why we need to be able to say: "It's ok like that, dear
validator, don't worry". Basically, the tagging equivalent of a "sic!"
in written language.

Bye
Frederik