[OSM-talk] Validator tags

sylvain letuffe liste at letuffe.org
Mon Nov 24 21:39:38 GMT 2008

> If my solution isn't good it's not going to be used...
I fear it's not true, at first because it is not "not good" ended it is, and
answers a need, I would say, it is not as good as it could be.
( sure, no tag will ever be)

And then because if people have nothing better, they will use it
<troll>the tracktype feature is IMHO one of the worst feature we have, and
still used by thousand of people because it was the only way to go</troll>

> If you can spend the time to find good names for the individual option
> (and merge say residential-without-name and poi-without-name to noname)
> and do all the stuff in the wiki, I'm certainly not opposed to change
> the naming in maplint. If we can reach consensus in this way and have
> tags which are not only valid for maplint but for your renderer too,
> that be really good.
Then I am on my way, even if we don't reach the consensus voting number stuff,
if we, as validators maintainers, reach a consensus, I'll say we have 50%
won.

> If it is that scatter? No. But if we had a couple hundreds noname=yes
> and tenthousands of $whatever?
Maybe it's a kind of trade off, developpers don't want to spend hours
discussing, users don't want to spend hours correcting their tags. We just
need to find wich is longer

Sylvain Letuffe sylvain at letuffe.org
qui suis-je : http://slyserv.dyndns.org