[OSM-talk] Make Messaging public, or other changes?

Hugh Barnes list.osm at hughbris.com
Mon Nov 24 22:39:49 GMT 2008

On 06:15:03, Matt Amos did write:

> i'm in favour of removing this functionality entirely. and the user
> diaries too. there are open, well-written and (relatively) bug-free
> versions of these sorts of software which we should integrate instead.
> we could move the diaries to wordpress blogs and move the friends and
> messages stuff to something like aroundme. why expend effort writing,
> supporting and (trying to) secure home-grown versions?

Here here. Everyone wins here as far as I can tell, as long as we find the
right implementation.

The only positive that might be lost is seamless integration with the website
UI. I don't know, do any of these third party offerings expose web services?

I'd like to see this seriously considered.

Cheers