[OSM-talk] OpenStreetBugs - open or not?

Florian Lohoff flo at rfc822.org
Wed Nov 26 11:24:47 GMT 2008

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 11:12:53AM +0000, Christoph Böhme wrote:
> Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> schrieb:
> > An API would be cool of course but as OSM itself
> > proves, if you offer dumps then others can do the API ;-)
>
> There is an openstreetbug-plugin for josm. It works by parsing the
> javascript responses from the openstreetbugs-website. So, there is
> already some kind of API which makes it possible to use openstreetbugs
> in other application.
>
> I would be happy to contribute to a redevelopment of openstreetbugs. A
> while ago I started to use it extensively mostly for notes to myself and
> to-do items. By using osb in these new ways, I began to miss a number
> of features like assigning a bug to someone, keeping old bugs for
> reference (especially if they turned out to be wrong), and having
> different types or importances of bugs. I would also love to see an
> "Report Bug" tab next to the edit tab on openstreetmap.org.

I second this - OpenStreetBugs has become a very important reporting
tool that Aunt Tilly who has very good local knowledge can report
bugs/inconsistencys/missing features to the mappers.

I think its worth beeing included on the main page - Probably it would
be a good idea to make it more open, put the code into svn, make the
database schemas visible so that we do not depend on a single person.

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff                  flo at rfc822.org             +49-171-2280134
	Those who would give up a little freedom to get a little