[OSM-talk] Unification of OpenStreetBugs an Trac

Steffen Vogel info at steffenvogel.de
Wed Nov 26 16:56:15 GMT 2008

As a user and mapper of OpenStreetMap, I often use OpenStreetBugs.
Unfortunatly this project is quity poor in features like:
- email notification
- duplicate handling
- user handling
- attachements (pictures, links, etc...)
- search
- filters
- reports, charts & statistics
etc.

Bug trackers like Bugzilla can cope with these requirements a lot
better.

What do you think about a migration of OpenStreetBugs to Bugzilla?

Nevertheless OpenStreetBugs has a also some pros:
- simplicity
- integration in a slippy map and JOSM

But I think it would'nt be hard to implement these pros to Bugzilla.

I've already put a installation of Bugzilla to my Server
(http://bugs.griesm.de) and I've done some testing around.
Bugzilla is coded in perl. I've some basic perl skills. But I'm afraid
thats not enough.
Perhaps we can some more expierenced perl codes here in the community?

A migration of the other bug trackers (http://trac.openstreetmap.org) to
Bugzilla would ensure that we have projectwide unique Bug IDs.

Small an new projects without a bug tracker could use this installation.
I think this would lead us to a faster developement cyclus...

It's just imagination..
What do you think about it?

greetings from Germany,

Steffen Vogel