[OSM-talk] Unification of OpenStreetBugs an Trac

Marc Schütz schuetzm at gmx.net
Wed Nov 26 17:29:18 GMT 2008

Am Mittwoch 26 November 2008 17:56:15 schrieb Steffen Vogel:
> As a user and mapper of OpenStreetMap, I often use OpenStreetBugs.
> Unfortunatly this project is quity poor in features like:
> - email notification
> - duplicate handling
> - user handling
> - attachements (pictures, links, etc...)
> - search
> - filters
> - reports, charts & statistics
> etc.
>
> Bug trackers like Bugzilla can cope with these requirements a lot
> better.
>
> What do you think about a migration of OpenStreetBugs to Bugzilla?
>
> Nevertheless OpenStreetBugs has a also some pros:
> - simplicity
> - integration in a slippy map and JOSM
>
> But I think it would'nt be hard to implement these pros to Bugzilla.

Bugzilla as a backend would certainly be nice, but as a frontend it is
obviously inappropriate. I don't know whether Bugzilla supports alternate
frontends; if so, it could be worthwhile building one that fits our needs.

IMO the most important advantage of OSB is its ease of use: there's no login
required, you don't need to categorize your bug report etc. I think these
features are important to keep in any new bug tracker we are going to use.

> I've already put a installation of Bugzilla to my Server
> (http://bugs.griesm.de) and I've done some testing around.
> Bugzilla is coded in perl. I've some basic perl skills. But I'm afraid
> thats not enough.
> Perhaps we can some more expierenced perl codes here in the community?
>
> A migration of the other bug trackers (http://trac.openstreetmap.org) to
> Bugzilla would ensure that we have projectwide unique Bug IDs.

Here I disagree: OSB is specifically targeted at users and mappers, not at
developers. I think it's quite okay that we have separate bug trackers for
these.

> Small an new projects without a bug tracker could use this installation.
> I think this would lead us to a faster developement cyclus...

That's already possible with our Trac as it is, right?

Regards, Marc