[OSM-talk] Edit war on the wiki "map features"

Matthias Julius lists at julius-net.net
Wed Nov 26 21:04:21 GMT 2008

sylvain letuffe <liste at letuffe.org> writes:

>> Alternatively we can choose people who have done a lot of tagging. For
>> example Milenko, beej71, wildMan, kiya, Skywave, devrise, blars, GercoKees,
>> uboot, MichaelCollinson, andrewpmk, ewedistrict, beldin, Alban,  katpatuka,
>> ulfl, mackerski dkt or Sven Anders.
>
> I had a similar idea, democratie has, imho, the general dis-advantage of
> giving a "vote power" to people who are not aware of things they are voting
> for.
>
> What about giving the "voting power" to people that actualy map things they
> know about ?

All those people have voting power already.  If they all would use it
the votes would already be much more representative than they are now.

In the end, those knowledgable people need to want that voting power
for this to work.  I'm afraid many people have other interests besides
debating about the merits of a certain tag (like mapping?).  After
all, people only start to worry about how to tag post boxes when they
start to map post boxes.

> ... And/or what about elections in the osm word, for a few dozen deputies that
> will be renewed every X days, that discuss between then ?

Again, I don't think anybody will start voting because you gave him
explicit "voting power".

I repeat myself here: Keep voting as it is now, but, instead of adding
that stuff to Map Features add it to Approved Features and let it
mature there and become established.  If after a certain time (maybe 6
month) a feature has become accepted by mappers it can migrate to Map
Features.

And the number of occurences in planet.osm is certainly not a
sufficient criteria for this.  More significant is probably the number
of mappers that have used it and the geographic distribution.

Matthias