[OSM-talk] Unification of OpenStreetBugs an Trac

Lambertus osm at na1400.info
Thu Nov 27 12:10:24 GMT 2008

Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> No need to have geometry drawing, which is the hard bit to code. If you want
> to draw ways, you need to make a sufficient commitment to the project to
> learn an editor, just as thousands have already done. And if you’ve
> progressed through this entry-level editor, you’re a lot less likely to foul
> up when you do.
>
> Some of this could be built on OpenLayers as per the data browser (though
> Chris Schmidt has expressed reservations about JS performance with many ways
> loaded in IE and FF2, and he knows much more about this sort of thing than I
> do). Tom Carden’s very interesting-looking ActionScript 3 renderer
> (http://www.tom-carden.co.uk/2008/10/01/openstreetmap-vectors-flash-yahoo-maps/)
> would be a fantastic foundation, unless there are already code gnomes
> somewhere working on turning it into a Potlatch killer ;) .

In my experience, most browsers start complaining about lengthy JS
runtime when more then (say) 200 OL vectors features are loaded and
responsiveness becomes poor. 200 way segments (or even 1k) is not much
in any built-up area, so only the highest zoomlevels are usable when all
features on the map are expressed in OL vectors.

On the other hand, OL/browers are fine with 10k segments in a single
vector (see yournavigation.org and generate a long route). So maybe it's
  just OL that needs optimizing to be able to draw many features on a map.