[OSM-talk] [Tagging] - RFC - Motorway_link implies oneway=??

Elena of Valhalla elena.valhalla at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 11:33:21 BST 2008

On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 11:22 AM, Nic Roets <nroets at gmail.com> wrote:
> Isn't a motorway by definition divided and therefore oneway ?
>
> My opinion is that motorway and motorway_link must both default to
> oneway=true, as the bi-directional varieties are non-existent / very rare.

I agree on the motorway, but around here it is very common to have
motorway_links that are partially oneway, but then merge in an
oneway=no before joining other roads

e.g.

|\
| L         R
M  \        |
W   =--L2---+
|  /        |
| L         R
|/

where MW is the motorway (one direction only), L are two oneway
motorway links (entry and exit respectively), R is some kind of
non-motorway road and L2 is a two-way part of motorway_link

of course in most of these cases you need either a oneway=yes tag on
the L parts or a oneway=no tag on the L2 part, so having either
default is going to require some explicit tagging.

On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 12:22 PM, Lester Caine <lester at lsces.co.uk> wrote:
> Marc Schütz wrote:
>> Quite the opposite: most motorway_links around here a bidirectional, except the small parts where they enter and exit the motorway.
> Then only the small parts that are the actual link should be tagged as
> motorway_links ;)

in the example above, the motorway ending sign would be at the end of
L2, not at the end of the L parts, so driving  rules for motorway
links would apply and motorway_link would be the logical tag

--
Elena of Valhalla

homepage: http://www.trueelena.org
email: elena.valhalla at gmail.com