[OSM-talk] Motorways and Motorway_link

Richard Bullock rb357 at cantab.net
Thu Oct 2 18:02:38 BST 2008

> (Trim the crap and return to sanity ;) )
> The definition in the UK would mean that motorway and motorway_link ARE
> always
> one way and anything that needed to be two way would not be flagged as
> 'motorway' but no doubt parallels in other countries are not quite so
> clear cut?
> Perhaps the OSM definition of motorway should include the restriction of a
> single direction carriageway and move anything else to 'trunk'?

The UK definition is any road defined as a motorway. Anything beyond
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bild:Zeichen_330.svg this sign is a motorway.

In the UK we even have single-carriageway sections of motorway.

e.g.
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=53.71933&lon=-2.63209&zoom=16&layers=B000FTF
here

It's not a sliproad - it's really single carriageway - and it has
blue-backed motorway signs. It has all of the usual motorway regulations
applying - no cycles, no pedestrians, no learners - you can drive a car
legally at 70mph on it (but given the length of it, it's only easy to do so
in the downhill direction with most cars) etc.

There's another one here - part of the A601(M)
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=54.12654&lon=-2.74652&zoom=16&layers=B000FTF

These should be motorways on OSM - they are in reality. Personally, I tag
motorways and motorway_links with oneway=yes if they are oneway. That way we
don't go making any false assumptions.