[OSM-talk] Taiwan coastline problem

Jon Burgess jburgess777 at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 2 21:06:42 BST 2008

On Thu, 2008-10-02 at 11:05 +0800, Louis Liu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Costline of southern Taiwan in mapnik is broken when zoom level <= 9.
> But it's fine when zoom level is >=10.
> Compare
> http://openstreetmap.org/?lat=22.31&lon=121.16&zoom=9&layers=B000FTF
> and
> http://openstreetmap.org/?lat=22.24&lon=120.722&zoom=10&layers=B000FTF

I'm afraid this is a problem with the tools used to generate the lower
zoom coastline outlines. There are issues elsewhere when it causes of
small squares of sea to appear:

http://openstreetmap.org/?lat=31.05&lon=85.89&zoom=6&layers=B000FTF

For zoom 10+ the tools use a different set of parameters which work more
reliably but cause other issues at low zooms.

I'm trying to figure out why this is happening but do not have a fix
yet.

	Jon