[OSM-talk] Extending the Data pane on openstreetmap.org

Dan Karran dan at karran.net
Fri Oct 3 00:12:57 BST 2008

The 'Data' pane on the main OSM site is a great way of finding out
information about specific objects on a map (or seeing where data is
that's not [yet] been rendered), but I think it has great potential
for being extended into a summary of the data in the area you're
looking at, before clicking through to see all the object-specific
information that's available currently.

It would be great if you could look at the data pane and be greeted by
something like:

 = Objects in the area =

  == by key ==
   1. highway
   2. amenity
   3. ...

  == by user ==
   1. user 1
   2. user 2
   3. ...

  == by timeframe ==
   1. last day
   3. last week
   4. last month
   5. ...

Clicking on any of the higher level groupings (e.g. a key, an author,
or a timeframe) would give a filtered list (like that seen currently)
of just those relevant ones, and even highlight them in the map as
well.

Just some thoughts on how to extend that functionality to be of more
use to a wider range of people, for monitoring changes to the map in
areas they know. What do people think about the idea? I might see if I
can find some time to implement it at some point, if it sounds like
something that'd be useful to people.

Cheers,
Dan

--