[OSM-talk] Code of conduct for automated (mass-) edits

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Fri Oct 3 10:57:08 BST 2008

Hi,

Sebastian Spaeth wrote:
> Those who will read and follow the code of conduct are not those who
> will blindly break stuff. Those who don't think through their actions
> and do a 30 line script in python/PHP/... that breaks stuff will break
> things, and they won't read through the code of conduct anyway.

Well. Most people running a bot have a certain interest of helping or
improving OSM. The rules they build into their bots are often based on
discussions on the mailing list or suggestions found on Wiki pages. So
they *do* read stuff before they act, and they *want* to do it "right".

The aim of that "code of conduct" is to give people a better idea of
what we think is "right".

Many come from a strong IT background and tend to spend little or no
time on thinking about the social component their bots might have - the
"respect the work of others" part.

I want the "code of conduct" to have a status like Map Features has - it
is not something you *have* to follow, not a strict rule and has not
been voted upon by anybody, but if you *do* adhere to it then you're
less likely to encounter problems.

This is all based on positive thinking, assuming that people are
basically well-meaning. I'll leave it to others to deal with those who
are not ;-)

Bye
Frederik