[OSM-talk] vandalism on OSM

Stefan Monnier monnier at iro.umontreal.ca
Mon Oct 6 16:44:14 BST 2008

> Subtle vandalism will always be the hardest to spot. If it is
> imagined that it might become a problem, then perhaps uploading a
> change to anything which already existed could notify the last 1 or
> 2 people that amended that feature, as they are the most likely to
> know what is correct or be in a position to double check if they
> doubt what they did previously.

This would be very useful indeed.  Not just for vandalism.

E.g. I recently fixed a misidentified oneway street next to my home (it
is oneway, but the other way).  A week later I noticed that my
"misidentified" oneway street was actually correct in another part of
the street (it seems it's oneway everywhere, but not always the same
way), so I had to go and see where the direction changed.

So my first change fixed one part of the street and broke another.
It's only be pure coincidence that I noticed the breakage.  If the
previous guy who set the property had been notified, he might have been
able to yell.  I'm pretty sure I introduced other such breakage already
and I haven't discovered it yet.

        Stefan