[OSM-talk] vandalism on OSM

Nic Roets nroets at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 20:36:45 BST 2008

On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 9:11 PM, Matthias Julius <lists at julius-net.net>wrote:

> > The first step will be a proper "way back" machine. But it hasn't been
> > discussed yet, much less designed or implemented :
> > http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Talk:OSM_Protocol_Version_0.6
>
> Well, first you need to detect the error before you can revert it.

Well, if someone accidentally merges 2 ways with different names, you need a
"way back machine" to see what each part was called before his error.
Detecting all changes can be as simple as comparing the current vector data
with the vector data at a chosen historic date. Hiding trivial changes are
not important at this stage.

In many cases reverting may only be possible by manually redrawing the whole
area, but I'm OK with that provided that I can see the map at the chosen
date.