[OSM-talk] Border of Ukraine

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 10:48:13 BST 2008

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 9:08 AM, Claudius Henrichs <claudius.h at gmx.de> wrote:
> Lars Aronsson:
>> In the current discussion of the Russian navy base at Sevastopol,
>> it would be useful to have a free map showing the Black Sea and
>> the land border between Russia and Ukraine, from Belarus to the
>> Black Sea.  But this border is missing from OpenStreetMap.  Can we
>> find it, or a good approximation, and put it in the map?  Are
>> there any Russian free sources?  Or does CIA/NASA provide free
>> data for this border?
>
> Let me chime in with a similar request for completing the borders of
> Iran. The Cloudmade-map ( http://maps.cloudmade.com/ ) seems to have
> worldwide national borders. Would be cool to find out where they got
> them from.

They come from vmap0 shapefiles that were previously used for the
coastlines in OSM mapnik and the cyclemap. They are a bit crude
though, so it would be much better to get the country borders into
OSM.

I'll leave it to others to decide if importing the VMAP0 boundaries as
a "starter for 10" is worth the effort or not.

Cheers,
Andy