[OSM-talk] Zoom level 12 on Potlatch

Mike Collinson mike at ayeltd.biz
Wed Oct 8 14:43:12 BST 2008

At 06:18 PM 7/10/2008, Richard Fairhurst wrote:
>I'm thinking of disabling zoom level 12 in Potlatch, to reduce load on
>the server. It's probably too far zoomed out to be able to do any
>useful editing anyway.
>
>Low-res (Landsat) Yahoo kicks in at level 13 so you'd still be able to
>access this.
>
>Would anyone's editing be inconvenienced by this?

I just happened to be editing some data in probably in about as an extreme situation as you can get: uninhabited, sparse current data, very high latitude and found I was using level 12.  So can be useful but only in edge cases.

Would it be easily feasible to disable entry, i.e. the change from View to Edit, at level 12 but allow a user to zoom out once they are already editing?  Speculating from my own sloppy use, most of the load may be from folks entering edit mode at level 12 and then zooming in to where they really needed?  I also enter by clicking "edit" on a newly uploaded GPS trace and I suspect the same thing happens.

Mike