[OSM-talk] ping OpenAerialMap

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Thu Oct 9 18:51:15 BST 2008

Martijn van Exel <mvexel <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Just to clarify - I want to use the data for the Tripod project
(http://tripod.shef.ac.uk/
> ) , which is about augmenting metadata in photos mainly based on
> existing location data. In this particular part of the project, we
> want to analyze the RGB histograms of the picture and compare them to
> the local aerial imagery to determine land cover class (e.g. forest,
> field, urban, beach).
> In another part of the project, we might be using OSM data to
> determine other features found in a photo (POI, streets, ...).

If you just need public domain Landsat images, then you can download
orthorectified Geocover images from Landsat.org and a few other places.  Those
images need to be colour adjusted, thoug.  Then there used to be a fine place
for downloading colour balanced mosaics, geotorrent.org, but the torrent seems
to be down now. Image catalog is still available.  I guess I have the European
mosaic somewhere on my hard disk if it happens to be of some use for you.

-Jukka Rahkonen-