[OSM-talk] map display www.openstreetmap.org

Eric Wolf ebwolf at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 16:44:55 BST 2008

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 8:06 AM, Jonathan Bennett <
openstreetmap at jonno.cix.co.uk> wrote:

> elvin ibbotson wrote:
> > Steve,
> >
> > It looks like fakeSteveC or someone is pretending to be you and posting
> > elitist, patronising, condescending rubbish in an apparent attempt to
> > make you look foolish. I look forward to it being demonstrated that
> > 'most people don't know what coordinates are'.
> >
> > elvin ibbotson
>
> "Most people" is not:
>
> Most people on this mailing list
> Most people who contribute to OSM
> Most people involved in GIS
> Most people who know some programming
>
> "Most people" is the man, woman or child in the street, many of whom
> will never have picked up a paper map, and will certainly never have
> tried to take coordinates from one.

And the set of "most people" could be expanded if the statement is "most
people don't know what coordinate _SYSTEMS_ are".

It's a safe best that "most people" have heard of lat/long even if they
don't know latitude from longitude - but the set of people who know the
difference between WGS84 and UTM.

Sorry for jumping in without context...

-Eric

Eric B. Wolf                          720-209-6818
USGS Geographer
Center of Excellence in GIScience
PhD Student
CU-Boulder - Geography