[OSM-talk] map display www.openstreetmap.org

SteveC steve at asklater.com
Sat Oct 11 02:49:25 BST 2008

On 10 Oct 2008, at 07:06, Jonathan Bennett wrote:
> elvin ibbotson wrote:
>> Steve,
>>
>> It looks like fakeSteveC or someone is pretending to be you and
>> posting
>> elitist, patronising, condescending rubbish in an apparent attempt to

I'll take elitism over populism or relativism. See:

	http://www.mail-archive.com/geowanking@lists.burri.to/msg03352.html

>> make you look foolish. I look forward to it being demonstrated that
>> 'most people don't know what coordinates are'.
>>
>> elvin ibbotson
>
> "Most people" is not:
>
> Most people on this mailing list
> Most people who contribute to OSM
> Most people involved in GIS
> Most people who know some programming
>
> "Most people" is the man, woman or child in the street, many of whom
> will never have picked up a paper map, and will certainly never have
> tried to take coordinates from one.
>
> Got a printed UK Road Map? Open it to any page -- where are the
> coordinates?

+1

I'm all for lat/lng to be a user-enabled display option, but it's
delusional to think that most people on the planet care and I
personally want most people on the planet using our maps.

Best

Steve