[OSM-talk] ping OpenAerialMap

list at sylva.icuklive.co.uk list at sylva.icuklive.co.uk
Sun Oct 12 12:23:42 BST 2008

On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 08:48:36 +0000 (UTC), Jukka Rahkonen wrote:

>> I've some aerial photos that I need to find how to georeference, 4MB
>> jpegs and 17 overlapping tiles, is there a program you can
>> recommend?
>

>Could you tolerate a non-integrated system and measure pixel coordinates and
>corresponding true world coordinates with a separate program and feed in these
>ground control points from command line?

If you mean can I attribute a single pixel in the image with a
coordinate on the ground then yes. I'm not a programmer or a
cartographer just a pc user but can use the command line.

>In this case you could use
>gdal-programs (gdal_translate and gdalwarp) and get a single mosaiced
>georeferenced image.  Download FWTools package, it includes both gdal tools and
>OpenEV Viewer that can be used for defining ground control points.

OK I'll have a look, thanks. I've previously used a free windows
mapping program but it uses a metre grid and even when projected with
british OS datum and co ordinates its 70m out (even the control points
get displaced) so I have some sort of problem with the datum and
projection.

I also am looking at the GRASS gis in Linux but not learning very
fast.

Andrew Heggie