[OSM-talk] Pedestrians on cycleways

Shaun McDonald shaun at shaunmcdonald.me.uk
Mon Oct 13 11:01:34 BST 2008

On 13 Oct 2008, at 10:53, sylvain letuffe wrote:

>> This seems to reflect the situation in Germany. However, in Belgium
>> and
>> The
>> Netherlands, the default is that pedestrians are allowed on cycle
>> tracks.
>
> I think that what you need is not a cycleway anymore, because
> pedestrian are
> allowed.

If it is a signed cycle route (with the exception of a short section
where cyclists need to dismount), or there is signage to allow
cyclists to use that, then it should be highway=cycleway; foot=yes,
with an optional segregated=yes if there is a line or kerb for
cyclists and pedestrians to be kept apart.

> Luckily, the higwhay=path is made for that

I'm don't understand the point of the highway=path tag.