[OSM-talk] More vandalism

Matias D'Ambrosio angasule at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 23:42:32 BST 2008

On Monday 13 October 2008 20:19:38 Nic Roets wrote:
> Hi Frederik,
>
> I'm glad the issue gets to be discussed, as it will show up more and more
> frequently. Clearly we need some conflict resolution rules (similar to
> wikipedia's "3 revert rule"), oversight and dispute resolution. We need to
> strike a balance between giving new users the benefit of the doubt while
> not tying down experienced users with the boring work of explaining
> themselves and revisiting previously mapped locations.
>

> Matias wrote :
> > <generic proposal of banning potlatch> :-P
>
> Or change potlatch so that it will not delete or modify objects last edited
> by other users. Then it would at least be easy to delete anything they did.

 It would also make it useless. Proper history support would make it easy to
revert someone's changes.
 Maybe a 5/10 minute interactive tutorial the first time one uses potlatch
would solve the issue of Iwannaeditnow users. Since anonymous editing is not
allowed, people would only have to do it once, I don't think it would be too
annoying. Of course, implementing this is the issue :-)

> > I think having changesets ... will help alleviate this issue.
>
> Changesets wouldn't do much. According to itoworld, this user had many
> "sessions".
 It would help in other cases, though. There is no silver bullet for anything
(well, except for hunting werewolves).