[OSM-talk] Databases?

Joseph Gentle josephg at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 15:53:46 BST 2008

Hi!

I've been taking a look at the software stack and (especially with the
intermediate XML formats) I can't help but feel that we could
represent the map data in a much more efficient format - eg a
quadtree. With the right data structures, it should be possible to
render maps on client side in realtime. Maps are far less complex
graphically than most 3d games; and they work just fine.

So how good is postgis? Does anyone know if its performant enough for
real-time map rendering? Can it do level-of-detail stuff ("fetch all
data in europe with at least city level significance")?

Has anyone tried making better data representations?

-J