[OSM-talk] POI by coordinates

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Thu Oct 16 07:57:58 BST 2008

Ryszard Mikke <Ryszard <at> Korwin-Mikke.pl> writes:

> Hello,
>
> the situation is: I've got a POI in the area where I'm only in summer.
> I've marked in somewhere in Google Maps and now I want to mark it in OSM.
> The problem is, the whole area is poorly marked in OSM, there is even
> a national road not marked. So I can't just go and draw the point.
> I need to put it at the same coordinates as in Google Maps.
>
> Tried to put it in GPX and import, but only tracks are imported,
> not waypoints. Pity, cause I've made an effort to remove everything
> else from GPX...
>
> So, how can I put the point at known coordinates?
> Maybe using some other editor than Potlatch?

Hi,

With Potlatch:  Keep one track in the gpx file so it uploads and waypoints will
be uploaded as well. Next find your file from GPS Traces tab in the main map
window, press Edit, and when Potlatch opens press Trace (I am not sure about the
English text in selection, my Potlatch seems to speak Finnish).  That will make
your waypoint as a locked feature in Potlatch.  Unlock, and it's done.

With JOSM:  Open your gpx file and convert it into data layer by right-click
selection on the layer list.  That will make waypoints vivible.  They are not
converted to real OSM points and they cannot be uploaded directly (I wonder
why), but they show a place on a map to draw manually a new OSM point that can
be uploaded.