[OSM-talk] POI by coordinates

Donald Allwright donald_allwright at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 16 14:20:32 BST 2008

Ryszard Mikke wrote:

> Ummm... Why is that so? Does that mean that I can't use WikiMapia
> for it as well? Cause that is what I've actually done...

It sounds like all you want is a way to place a specific point of interest in OSM, after having already placed it in wikimapia.org. I would recommend you use the yahoo imagery for this, it should be possible to position it within a few tens of metres using even the lowest-resolution imagery. Without knowing where your POI is located there may or may not be other methods of placing it (using NPE maps in the UK for example). But the best option is to take a GPS device to the location and read what it says. I know not everyone has a GPS device so this isn't always possible.

I've just taken a look at the legal page on wikimapia.org (if you can call it that; it's actually a floaty-type window rather than a proper page) and I would steer well clear of this for the purposes of OSM.

Donald