[OSM-talk] Tiger 2007 Data

vegard vegard at engen.priv.no
Mon Oct 20 21:44:37 BST 2008

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 12:27:27PM -0700, Dave Hansen wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-10-20 at 09:43 +0200, vegard wrote:
> >
> > I see it like this: What could be very useful to have, is a mapping
> > between tiger data (old set) and OSM data. It could be to late for this
> > round, but an external_id:tiger = XXXX that you'd *never* remove, is a
> > good thing. That'll help when updating.
>
> Umm.  We have this.  It's called a tlid, and it's already in the data
> set.  When TIGER objects got combined into a single OSM object, I
> preserved this tag.  I *also* submitted patches to JOSM to preserve this
> tag when merging points and ways.

Good! I swear, I did mean to write "you might already have this,
but...".

Well, rest of conversion depends: Is there a (relatively) easy way to do a diff
between the old set and the new set? It'd be good to know what is the
changes introduced by the new set. The size/amount of those changes will
decide the strategy for rest, no?
--
- Vegard Engen, member of the first RFC1149 implementation team.