[OSM-talk] barrier=gate, run a script?

Ben Laenen benlaenen at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 15:47:00 BST 2008

On Wednesday 22 October 2008, Robert (Jamie) Munro wrote:
> Frederik Ramm wrote:
> > Hi,

Of course not, green trunk roads and blue motorways don't make a lot of
sense in 99% of the world. It makes sense in the UK, where this project
happens to have started, so now that it became a true worldwide
project, why can't we give other countries the same "privilege" of
having own colour schemes for their road network that make sense in
that country?

But it should have a "consistent" look of course, meaning that the
differences for each country are very small, and mostly involves some
icons or highway types, and things like highway number colours.

> >> Well. You have to remember that rendering is not all,
> >
> > Ok, then: "Is it really so important for routing software to work
> > identically in Chile and in China"?
>
> 100% abosolutely. Certainly. Undoubtedly. How can you even ask such
> an obvious question?
>
> You can't really be suggesting writing different routing software for
> every part of the world can you?

It should work the same way *but* each country will need its own ruleset
to translate tags in a specific country into access rules for certain
vehicle types.

Thinking you could mold the whole world into one set of tags is naive
and it's been shown plenty of times that it just won't work.

So, you don't need to rewrite the routing software for each country, you
just need to make a router that uses a table with country specific
information.

Ben