[OSM-talk] mapnik and openlayers?

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Wed Oct 22 16:43:18 BST 2008

Lukasz Szybalski wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 10:22 AM, Tom Hughes <tom at compton.nu> wrote:
>
>> Mapnik is just a rendering engine - where you put the tiles that it
>> generates and how your web server maps URLs to those tiles is nothing to do
>> with mapnik.
>>
>> Our mapnik tile server uses mod_tile to server the mapnik generated tiles,
>> which uses the google style URL scheme, not a TMS URL scheme.
>
> We are getting somewhere..
> Is there a name for "gogle style URL scheme" in openlayers? (Not TMS
> we know now)

Why do you care so much? What's wrong with just using our layer
definitions? Those use TMS but override the URL generation to generate a
URL in the right format.

>> If you want to configure a web server to use a TMS URL scheme instead then
>> it is perfectly possible.
>
> How do I configure my web server (or mapnik) to server or generate TMS
> URL scheme?

That's like asking how long a piece of string is really.

The simplest way is just to generate tiles into a directory hierarchy
that matches the TMS URL scheme and then just serve that directory in
the normal way.

That probably won't work if you're doing the whole planet though.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://www.compton.nu/