[OSM-talk] brand=...

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Thu Oct 23 12:05:09 BST 2008

I notice there is increasing use of a tag brand=... for things like
shops, fuel, banks, atms etc. This seems like a good idea to me, as the
name of something ("Murkets Corner filling station") can be different
from its branding ("Shell"). Often you'd use them interchangeable
("Starbucks" doesn't often have a specific name, other than perhaps the
name of the street or town to which it applies, which is probably clear
from the context).

As this seems to be in fairly common use, I'll add it to map features as
it isn't mentioned anywhere explicitly yet.

Also, I will change the Name finder to start recognising it. New or
amended 'brand's will get into the index fairly soon, but existing ones
won't until I rebuild the index from a complete planet file, which I
intend to do over Christmas (it will take at least a week to do this).

David