[OSM-talk] brand=...

Dave Stubbs osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk
Thu Oct 23 12:52:15 BST 2008

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 12:45 PM, Hendrik T. Voelker
<hvoelker at nutrimatic.de> wrote:
> Skywave wrote:
>> I have been using myself the operator=tag for this kind of stuff. Any
>> opinion if brand= is more suitable than operator+.
>
> Even though the differentiation might be a thin line, but they are two
> different things. Just consider franchise concepts
>
> The operator of a patrol station is someone different from the brand, same for
> SturBucks, Meyerbeers, Tesco or German REWE, EDEKA, ... whatever
>
> And yes, I know, it's not really handled that way.

And also operators that run multiple brands ie: Tesco Local, Tesco
Metro... most supermarkets do this, or for more obvious distinction
Threshers Group with Threshers, Wine Rack and probably a few others.
It matters very little though, as half the time the mapper won't
really know what's going on anyway, it's the brands that are going to
get mapped whatever tag gets used.

Dave