[OSM-talk] brand=...

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Thu Oct 23 16:39:29 BST 2008

In my locality there is a gas station (petrol station) which has the name
"Elmira Service Centre", is it owned and operated by Norm Stanaitis, and
it has a prominent banner for "UPI" brand gasoline, recently switched from
"Pioneer" brand gasoline. The locals all refer to this station as
"Stanaitis's".

So, in this case there would be room for all three attributes:

name=Elmira Service Centre
operator=Norm Stanaitis
brand=UPI

(No, I haven't added this to the map yet. Soon, soon!)

--Bob.

< david at frankieandshadow.com > wrote:

>>> I notice there is increasing use of a tag brand=... for things like
>>> shops, fuel, banks, atms etc. This seems like a good idea to me, as
>>> the name of something ("Murkets Corner filling station") can be
>>> different from its branding ("Shell"). Often you'd use them
>>> interchangeable ("Starbucks" doesn't often have a specific name,
>>> other than perhaps the name of the street or town to which it
>>> applies, which is probably clear from the context).
>>>
>>> As this seems to be in fairly common use, I'll add it to map
>>> features as it isn't mentioned anywhere explicitly yet.
>>>
>>> Also, I will change the Name finder to start recognising it. New or
>>> amended 'brand's will get into the index fairly soon, but existing
>>> ones won't until I rebuild the index from a complete planet file,
>>> which I intend to do over Christmas (it will take at least a week
>>> to do this).