[OSM-talk] Xybot

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 12:24:09 BST 2008

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 12:10 PM, David Groom <reviews at pacific-rim.net> wrote:

> That's the nature of OSM, anyone can edit anything without asking for
> permission.  There's no black and white here.  I agree that it would have
> been best to have had some form of discussion about this script, but there's
> no requirement to do so, so no point in asking a question such as "what
> makes you think you're allowed to do this without asking? "

Of course. But there's a difference between "can" and "should", and
the question is probably better phrased as "what makes you think you
*should* do this without asking?"

And even with typos, there's been a number of discussions as to why
automatically converting e.g. hgihway isn't necessarily a good idea -
almost all of those that I've found there's another way correctly
tagged close beside it. So fixing the typo in these cases is actually
not appropriate - what's appropriate is to remove the mistagged way.
Hence I have an aversion to bots that aren't either discussed or well
thought through.

Removing "layer=0" tags completely is another example I've found -
that's just destroying tags for no gain.

Cheers,
Andy