[OSM-talk] Xybot

Dave Stubbs osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk
Fri Oct 24 13:20:48 BST 2008

>>> Take "grade" for instance, all occurances of which have now been
>>> changed to "tracktype". Which is a hell of an assumption about the
>>> use of the "grade" tag, and what people potentially might want to
>>> mark with that in the future. This isn't just typo fixing, this is
>>> going way beyond that.
> grade has been replaced by tracktype in 92 occurances on highway=track,
> where a numeric value 1-5 was in the value field.

Where is taking into account this context documented?
I see no evidence of this on the wiki, are you just saying that so far
you've been lucky?

I also apparently can't now use the tag "rail", "root", or "footpath".
Whether these are actually used at the moment is quite irrelevant, as
you obviously intend to keep running this bot over and over, meaning
I'll /never/ be able to use these tags for anything. What's most
worrying is the recklessness with which you're running this script,
effectively blacklisting tags without discussion... how do I know you
aren't going to keep expanding this list?

BTW thank you for removing some of the more blatantly wrong tag
mappings. Have you reverted all of these yet?

Dave