[OSM-talk] osm2pgsql & planet: frustrations, cutoffs, and idempotence

Brett Henderson brett at bretth.com
Mon Oct 27 12:55:55 GMT 2008

Jochen Topf wrote:
> If the planet dump plus the diff from the same day is what everybody
> wants anyway, why not do this on the server side and hold the planet
> back after the first diff is available, run this over the planet and
> then publish that as the planet?

It would add delay to the planet creation process.  I don't know how
much of an issue that would be.

How many people still download the full planet on a regular basis?  I
would hope that people would begin to use changesets even if they only
require a complete xml file.  For bandwidth reasons alone the gains are
well worthwhile, plus you can get far more regular updates than weekly.
The script below automates keeping a snapshot file in sync:
http://svn.openstreetmap.org/applications/utils/osmosis/script/contrib/replicate_osm_file.sh