[OSM-talk] osm2pgsql & planet: frustrations, cutoffs, and idempotence

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 20:53:42 GMT 2008

On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 9:39 PM, Michal Migurski <mike at stamen.com> wrote:
> I'm liking Jochen Topf's suggestion here:
>
>        "If the planet dump plus the diff from the same day is what everybody
> wants anyway, why not do this on the server side and hold the planet
> back after the first diff is available, run this over the planet and
> then publish that as the planet?"

1. Because there are plenty of uses for the planet dump that don't
need consistant snapshots.

2. Because such consistant snapshots have been available elsewhere for
quite a while now and people who need them can get them. There's no
particular reason why it has to be on the same site as the normal
planet dumps.
> Probably what I need to do is get a fresh update of osm2pgsql. I can
> see now that the revision I'm using is older than #10464, where some
> inconsistency resilience was added.

Umm, yeah. I was ofcourse assuming you were running the latest
version, otherwise anything is possible, The creates-as-modifies fix
was done two months ago.

Have a nice day,