[OSM-talk] New Debugging-Tool: OSM-Inspector

Jochen Topf jochen at remote.org
Tue Oct 28 21:17:23 GMT 2008

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 05:34:20PM +0000, Matt Amos wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 4:36 PM, Jochen Topf <jochen at remote.org> wrote:
> > We have created a new debugging tool for OSM. The idea is similar to
> > Maplint and the Coastline Checker, but the tool is more flexible. In
> > several views (currently: geometry errors, addresses tagged according to
> > the Karlsruhe Schema, and everything related to water) you can look at
> > the OSM data on a map, get further info by clicking on things and jump
> > directly into an editor to fix the bugs.
>
> thanks, this is awesome! i've already found and fixed a few addressing
> bugs in my area (apparently, i can't tell odd from even).
>
> it seems to be flagging addresses tagged with the associatedStreet
> relation method of the Karlsruhe schema with "cannot find street"
> errors. is this is because street finding via relations isn't
> implemented yet?

Yes, thats not implemented. There are only 443 of those relations in the
whole of Europe (vs. nearly 320.000 addr:street tags on nodes). So I
guess that method looks more or less dead to me. Any opinions on that?

> finally, a request: could you please add postal_code
> (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Key:postal_code) as a synonym
> for addr:postcode, so i can debug these areas in the UK? it'd be a
> pain to go back and change them all :-)

I hesitate to support two tags for the same thing. And there are many
more addr:postcode tags than postal_code. Has this been discussed
somewhere already?

Jochen