[OSM-talk] Place names with coordinates in Wikipedia + OSM

Mike Collinson mike at ayeltd.biz
Wed Oct 29 17:37:14 GMT 2008

Hi Lars,

I've been working with the GNS data for Sweden so some notes from that limited regard. What you are suggesting sounds very worthwhile for both projects and I would be glad to join in, follow up on talk-se?

- If I am not mixing sources up, Geonames.org is tainted with digitisations from GoogleMaps and therefore not a safe source for OSM.

- Better would be to use the Sweden file directly from http://earth-info.nga.mil/gns/html/namefiles.htm. This will be the base of much of Geonames.org and is legally safe to use

- I have well developed Perl scripts to read from that file so could quickly create some place per square kilometre metrics if you want.

- I would speculate that directly drawing data from OSM would be the way to proceed. OSM can then be used to edit and correct any GNS data that you choose to carefully augment it with.

- The guys on the Norwegian list have pretty much given up on GNS data though I personally would not go that far.  The problems with the GNS data are: the locations are very low resolution even at high latitudes. Depending on what feature you are dealing with and in what type of terrain, we can shift them using landsat data in JOSM or Potlatch but it is still an effort.  From the Norwegian experience, the collections seems to have a lot names which have no modern significance.  There is also a small but appreciable number of bad transcriptions.  I guess these last two are not so critical to Wikipedia as you would simply ignore anything that does not have a Wikipedia entry - that also might help OSM if we applied the same filter backwards, I already do that manually.

- Is the Geonames classification (type of place) good enough for OSM? It is based on GNS.  I've managed to pull out and QC all Swedish län and kommuns and they are already in OSM (place=county and kommun respectively).  Distinguishing between OSM city, town, village, hamlet, suburb and (what are now) individual houses (gård) is really hard as they often just classified as PPL / Populated Place. The other things that I'd guess would be useful for Wikipedia - rivers, lakes, sea features, mountains and islands - are relatively easy to map to OSM classification.

Mike