[OSM-talk] osmcut.c Some problems with my solution :-)

Michael Hufer michael.hufer at gmx.de
Wed Oct 29 19:28:24 GMT 2008

On Wednesday 29 October 2008 10:21:54 Erik Johansson wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 9:24 PM, Michael Hufer <michael.hufer at gmx.de> wrote:
> > On Tuesday 28 October 2008 21:12:10 Frederik Ramm wrote:
> >> Hi,

> BTW in your osmcut it still says that ways are only written to the 4
> first tiles that the way touches, is this still true? Doesn't seem
> like what you want, or?

I had only about 10 ways spanning more than 4 tiles in the whole germany.osm
when I cut it into 0.5 degree tiles. All but one span more than 6 extra tiles
(i.e. more than 10 tiles in all). Most were 'boundary' ways (e.g. the
national boundary Poland/Germany) which is no great loss if not present in a
map that ends on that boundary anyway :-).

So to increase this number was not on my agenda as

1) the number of affected ways was/is small

2) the number of tiles would have to be increased substantially (from 4 to
over ten) to reduce the number of ways affected. This would have greatly
increased the memory consumption (more than doubled it for each node in the
input file) for little extra gain.

	Micha H.